View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
After reading the initial post I was kind of surprised to see where this thread ended up going. I guess it is obvious I'm new on the forums and don't spend a lot of time on them. Sounds like most users on the site find these conversations commonplace. That being said with the way the conversations went I was surprised to see no one mention the designated ohv trails and areas. Unless I missed them. The are many ohv designated trails as well as a few land sections that are designated free riding for ohvs and trucks/jeeps. I think a solution to damage on public and private land caused by ohvs has already been found. The problem is not enough people know about them and use them. And yes I realize that fishing along streams and rivers causes damage, as well as handling fish is stressful on them. As already stated many times there are regulations in place to help mitigate damage caused by fishermen. Those regulations are also addressed and evaluated every year. Having said that, comparing damage caused by foot access on land and ohv access is just silly. I recently found a nice piece of conservation land that says foot access only and have been there many times. There are quad tracks on that property from a one time use(obviously not me) this spring that are still visible now, but I have never seen tracks left by a person there. I know a lot of responsible ohv users and unfortunately the few (depending on which side of the issue you're on I guess) are ruining it for the many. As with many hobbies and sports. My apologies for resurrecting a thread that died a few weeks ago. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
Your two cents was well spent!
All of us need to be accountable for our impact we leave behind, hard to police these areas especially in remote areas but when a individual or group is caught the penalty can not be a small fine it needs to hurt them really bad, loss of vehicle, heavy fine, maybe jail or better yet community time restoring what they destroyed.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...