View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Used to be that both boats were made at the same factory. Kinda like GM and Chev.

The Lund is no longer welded but a rivet boat which is no way as strong as the weld.

I am biased because I own a Crestliner but after 12 yrs and some awful tough water at times I cannot complain.
Simply stated, I cannot agree with your comparison on welded vs. riveted construction.

Airplanes are riveted and experience the greatest amount of stress, deflection and torsion, of any vehicle, and are designed to use riveted seams.

Look at some cheap welded boats (from a big box store to remain nameless) - compare that to the hull strength of a premium riveted boat like a Lund. Look on the internet and see what owners are saying about their boats. Look on this forum.

To argue your point and look at some cheap junky riveted boats out there. Cheap little rivets, single rivet lines, poor overlap.

The strength of the hull comes primarily through design. Any first year engineering student would tell you this.

If you are going to use "look at river boat" as a defense, carefully consider the difference in aluminum used (thickness and grade) when comparing a high end harbercraft/kingfisher or custom weld to a thin skinned impostor like the absolute piece of crap sold in big box stores.

My 3 cents .....