View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
I can just about promise you that it is just not as easy as shooting them with a paintball.Dosage depends on weight,can anybody accurately estimate a moose's weight,don't think so.The other issue is what parasite are they infected with.If it is ticks or sucking lice, the product has to be injected or absorbed into the blood stream for the little nasty's to die.If they are biting lice which feed on dead skin cells the product needs to hit the lice themselves.I have no idea if moose get lice,to me it seems that ticks are cause of all the rubbed moose that you see.It also would be highly unlikely that enough product could be contained in a paintball, however,a dart gun with 16cc darts and smaller could be affective in treatment using a product such as Ivomec provided shots could be taken 30 yards and under for the big darts.But it still brings us back to the with drawl issue.
I don't think it matters whether the moose is poached or harvested by substance hunters,or harvested during a open season, this would be a accident looking for a place to happen.
And I think that a few people are underestimating how difficult it would be to even do this on any sort of a scale that would make a difference, other than just harassing and stressing the moose population in general. Doing something about the ticks is a nice thought but this whole paintball idea is stupid.