View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Private and Lease Land Access

I think most of us can relate to having had some issues with accessing either private or lease land for hunting in the past. There are arguments from both sides of the fence - the hunter as well as the land owner/lease holder. I don't want this to become a bashing thread, but I would be curious to hear some constructive feedback perhaps from both sides on how this issue could improve.

I have a thought on it....

In Wyoming there is a landowner coupon that comes with your tag. When you are successful and fill your tag you complete this coupon and you leave it with the land owner. I believe it entitles the landowner to $10 (which opens up a whole new can of worms in Canada), but the financial reward could be ignored and avoided here in Canada. Rather than a cash reward maybe the coupons could be used at tax time some how?
Perhaps another angle that could be used is proof that they have allowed access to their land for game animals to be harvested. That way if they have any insurance claims due to game destroying property they can provide proof of allowing access for hunters to assist in game population control on their land. No coupons to provide to insurance, well then they haven't done their part to try and control the population which is causing damage on their property. The coupon would also provide a connection to the hunter and a means by which to track them if there are any issues with them while hunting on the land owner or lease holders property.

Thoughts?