View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
It hasn't been addressed yet to my knowledge. And more exploits are coming out. And it's not just d-link.

It may sound paranoid, but If you're going to use these cameras. All of these cams have issues.

At a very minimum people need to use secure passwords. Too many people are installing these - and i'm not saying you - with the default passwords. You don't want to be a part of this: https://www.insecam.org/ - and that's the tip of the iceberg.

When I install these now, they don't have access to the internet - no monitoring but it is what it is. Installed on a separate closed loop wireless network, at least then you're only concerned about local hackers trying to tap your wireless. You can set up secure access to your home to monitor, but i won't get into that. D-link has a free DVR software that can store all video locally on a dedicated windows computer. If anything does happen, at least you have the video.

You need to realize that the monitoring is actually in the cloud on d-links servers - and there's your issue. So these cameras are leaving your network, accessing the internet and going elsewhere.

And by the way, monitoring these from a smartphone eats alot of data. I know people that have gotten bills for thousands of dollars from the provider - because they didn't know to close the app. Close the monitoring app when not in use.

I won't even get into FLIR.

It is what it is.
Well said. Total false sense of security. Half of security alone IMO is having signage as well from a company burlers are aware of and stay away from. $5 security signs from home depot dont count either. You get what you pay for especially in the world of protecting your goods!