View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 PM

Default Auger blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pilot cock View Post
I've got one of the old Jiffy White Lightening augers. It's as old as the hills but it runs like a top. Last year I replaced the blades but it still doesn't chew through the ice very well. Actually it does a lot more bouncing and scraping than chewing. A buddy figures I need to get the center point sharpened. Could anyone suggest somewhere to get that done that might be quicker than getting into the queue at Lawn Mower Hospital or someplace where I'm waiting in line behind people getting major tune ups done... Or is there an individual who has the know how to do it. Not looking for free labor. I'm in Edmonton. Thanks!
If your auger is bouncing around while trying to drill it is your main blades. Either the wrong pitch or not sharp enough. Those blades should be easy to touch up up with a file. Center point is a guide and really doesn't need to be all that sharp. Make sure there is no burr on the blades if you sharpen your self. If that doesn't work look at another set of blades and see if the pitch is correct, may have to use shims to get the correct pitch or new blades