View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Some of the lakes mentioned, undoubtedly, have a larger population of bigger pike. Most likey the next record will come out of there.

On the other hand, years ago when I lived in Calgary, we used to fish Chestemere lake (a small lake just east of the city) which is now very developed. At that time there was little (no) development North of the bridge other than the boat launch. We caught (and released) hundreds of 2-3lb pike but rarely caught anything larger.

On one summer afternoon - doing what we always do - I landed a pike just under 25lbs.

Fished it for years afterward and probably never caught anything bigger than 5 lbs or so.

Go figure ?????

My vote is on Wabamun simply becuase I have landed some big pigs out of there and it seems on a regular basis. I have a "one that got away" story with myself and my kid where I could not get it in the net (it was way way too long) and the fish was simply to tough to handle with my kid at the boat trying to help. He was scared of the thing !!!. Trying to turn it, after a few failed attempts to get it in the boat, she finaly spit the hook and swam away.

I've had a few snap and destroy 30lb braid (when I did not have my drag re-set properly like a moron). You would think after years of fishing you would automatically re-set your drag up everytime you start. yeah right.

I can tell you, without a doubt, Wabamun is a good candidate.