View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Not just Newell, there are a lot of southern reservoirs with the right conditions to produce monster pike. Eventually someone is going to be at the right place with the right lure or bait and land a 40 pound plus, if not 50. The provincial record is going to fall soon.
I'm with Wayne on this one Newell, Rattlesnake, Forty mile, Chin, St. Mary's, even the bow between the forks and Strathmore. Lots of food long growing season and cold deep water in the heat of summer. Personal best is 27 out of Rattlesnake, but have heard of divers stories on Forty mile and Chin.
As noted these big fish eat a diet that is very hard to mimic, we regularly used home made plugs between 8 and 12 in. and didn't even notice a drop in smaller fish caught. If we still regularly catch the little tykes what is needed to mimic a meal for a forty pounder? I think the reason the bigger fish are usually caught ice fishing is that their metabolism is down a bit and they find the smaller dead baits acceptable. Just my thoughts.