View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
Purchasing my Woodmizer LT 35 hydraulic sawmill has paid for itself ten fold.

Original purchase was for milling posts, beams and board for new barn, sauna, shop, trappers shack and dock.

Having a 230 timberjack to skid and deck logs aids tremendously.

The rest was all sweat equity.

The quality of lumber we milled exceeded what was seen in some of the lumber yards.

I did buy and store 3 lifts of 7/16" OSB when it was $7/sheet so was covered there.

Also purchased all the required tin for roofing and siding in one order, got a great rate for a bulk purchase including on site delivery.

Our build plans had been in the works for a while so once we committed we shopped to fill materials orders based on best quotes from suppliers.

The price of construction materials will continue to rise, the cost of time if self constructing must be considered as well.
Hell of a wise investment for milling your own dimensional lumber.

Considering what current pricing is for dimensional lumber that we pay for and what we get; full of knots, cracked and warped.

I have been told by many loggers, carpenters and purchasers that the lumber sold locally in any lumber yard or big box store is 'C grade' where as premium lumber is exported to overseas to Japan. Entire barges are sunk of the coast of the country for deep water storage.. if that is such a thing?