Thread: boat tires
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
A bit of a rant first .... Almost every boat trailer out there, from what I've seen, isn't rated for real life conditions based the boat that will eventually sit on top of that trailer.

Put gear, a motor, a full tank of fuel and most loads will exceed the rating on the tire AND the trailer itself.

Sounds Crazy????? ....Go look at your boat trailer placard, note your tire speed/weight rating and then take it to a scale ..... see for yourself.

This legislation somehow allows this dangerous and annoying practice to continue.

The bottom line is get a tire that's rated high enough, with a little more capacity ideally, that will fit on your trailer.

Monitor tire pressures and wear, keep hub greased and buy a radial - the price difference is small.
You are 100 percent correct. It isnt very ethical behavior, but its obvious why they do it - better profit margin. They push the rating right to the limit, or over if you really start to add everything up. When i did the calculation on mine i was pretty suprised....

If i ever get another boat/trailer it will be a part of my negotiations in buying.