View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 10:58 PM

Question Tanning Salt & Alum Help

So thanks to a few people on here Ive found most of the ingredients and tools to use for taking on the task of skinning/fleshing/tanning
Fingers crossed I get my elk next weekend, I want to tan the hide. Would be used as a throw on a couch or bed. Ive been watching videos and reading posts for the past 2 weeks and still cant figure out a procedure list for tackling this.

What Ive got so far is Ive shot my elk, hes field dressed. Load him up and back at the cabin hanging upside down and skinned. (Hopefully in the course of less than an hour; any more and you risk slippage)
-Immediately take the hide off and place fur side down and spread out to cool quickly. In the meantime, finish dressing elk and get all cleaned up, quartered and hung.
-Once cool lay hide on beam or flat table and proceed to flesh the hide.
-For an elk throw on 25 lbs of fine non iodized salt
-Fold him up flesh side in and place in a garbage bag so I can take him home
-Once home lay hide out on a sheet of plywood at a slight angle. Scrape off old salt and apply a new thick layer of 25 lbs of salt
Day 2
-Scrape off old salt and rinse hide in a solution of cold water and dish detergent. Rinse in cold water. Wring out as best as possible.
-Mix up a solution of 1 lb Alum, 1 lb Salt, and 1/2 lb Baking Soda in 5 gallons of water. Throw in hide for about a week, stirring and tossing 2x daily
Day 9
-Mix up a solution of 1/2 lb of Borax and 5 gallons of water. Toss in hide and wash, rinse hide in cold water afterwards until clean
-Wring out best as possible and lay hide flesh side up on plywood
-While still damp, mix up a solution of 3.5 oz neatsfeet oil, 3.5 oz warm water, and 1 oz household ammonia.
-Apply half the solution to the hide, wait 30 min and apply remaining to hide
-Cover with a plastic sheet overnight so it doesn't dry to quickly and doesn't absorb fully
Day 10
-Lay hide out over a rope in garage to dry out the hair side
-Once dry, lay hide back on table and nail and slightly stretch the hide every 6".
-Once moderately dry begin working the hide over table edge or pole until dry
-Extra step would be to place in dryer on no heat tumble to further soften the hide
-Use wire brush or low grit sand paper to soften flesh side
-Comb and brush fur side, use dry shampoo if needed

This is all Ive got figured out based on the massive amounts of mixed information out there. Not sure if my mix recipes are correct or list of steps either. Seems to differ from source to source.
Any help and input would be greatly appreciated