View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
who is saying anything about removing any rules?? maybe you dont understand where i am comming from....instead of making more rules that limit most people and some people ignore, we should look at the bigger picture and not just one one lake or area (is this really the next step in making alberta a better place to fish). you say these new changes in regulations wont cost anything?? who will enforce these new changes?? those poor people at fish and wildlife are already understaffed and cant enforce the rules we already have properly.so if a new rule that wont be enforced is your major concern in alberta then i think your being a little far sighted (imho).I am not saying i dont want better quality of fish in alberta but i like the spots where i take my small children and its easy to catch a bunch of small dumb fish and i equally like the spots where i can head out and have a chance at a large one.If you asked my daughter if she would rather catch a 20lb pike or a 1lb walley she would pick a walley everytime (she thinks they look cooler). so proof kids dont care about size, so if this is for them i still think the money is better spent elsewhere.
I would have to go out on a limb...maybe someone else who is a F&W officer will attest to my thinking but...if there is already fishing activity taking place before and there will be fishing activity taking place after then therefore the net effect is an officer enforcing rules regardless of what they are and how many. One quick scan probably tells them if someone is fishing, using barbed hooks, has over their limit, has no fishing license...it will take no net time to also spot if the fish is under limit size. Therefore I don't believe this will cause any increased enforcement requirement over and above what is already in place. However I agree enforcement is currently lacking but a new regulation that is required to improve fishing for 99% of the public should still be implemented because it is the right thing to do as proved at Bullshead.

I also humbly don't believe your global comment that "most people and some people ignore" the current rules. I have fished for 35 years and I can attest that most people do follow the rules. Some don't and given the enforcement manpower concerns...it means the Report a Poacher is very important. So if you are seeing this that common place where you go you must take responsibility yourself and phone that number...otherwise IMHO...the poaching problem is also your fault for turning your back to the problem.

Your argument about wanting your kids to catch dumb fish and not larger fish still means you are in favor of the "quality" fishery. Simply put and I believe mentioned many times before...unless you take your kids to say Mt Lorette pond within the first few days of stocking...they will not catch any dumb trout because they have already been harvested. With a higher length limit size on a stocked lake...those dumb fish remain longer so your daughter has a chance to catch one. Plus I have fished Bullshead...and there are loads of dumb 12 - 20 inch trout to catch...and plenty over 20 inches.

Also my daughter and young son has caught loads of 10 - 14 inch rainbows. They bored quickly. Then they started catching 20 - 24 inch rainbows...and could not stop fishing. So there is proof...in the long run the kids want challenge and excitement reeling in a torpedo...not reeling in a small wet recently pellet fed sock.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 12-27-2010 at 11:01 AM.