View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
people are not saying they dont want a better quality fishery, nor is anyone saying that you should keep everything you catch. what i am concerned about is that is this the right thing to do? who are we willing to hurt?(families), and if this will even work. what is the time frame for the reward of these changes? is this really the next step for our fisheries? cause i know of a few places that could probably use some help out too.(why does k lakes take priority) and if nobody is supposed to ask then why put it up on a forum at all? i am not going to support something without all the facts and info..who did the research and if its being done the right way.
Tosh...the facts have been posted.

Fact...Catch rates from Kananaskis Lakes for instance. It shows 94% of all trout stocked get harvested in the year they are stocked. That is at 12 inches. That means instant depletion of the resource upon initial stocking.

Fact...it will work...the size classes in the lake now show great growth

Fact...the exact same regulation for Bullshead Lake was a massive success. All negative opinions were shot down by the successful outcome of this first Quality Fishery at Bullshead.

Fact...there is nothing...no proof...no examples nothing that has been said to show there is any harm to families. To me that is purely an inflammatory comment without merit. Not even sure where your logic is on that. I know the rhetoric keeps jumping back to wanting to catch fish...but again... the facts show the implementation of a quality fishery will improve this versus leaving it the same mess it is currently in. Nobody likes fishing towards the middle to the end of the season cause most trout were already caught.

Fact...this is actually a cost effective method to let mother nature grow trout while keeping tons of trout available to be caught. Upon mother nature (versus tax payer supported hatcheries feeding trout) growing 20 inch trout...these significantly larger fish will provide superior table fare to anyone wishing to harvest one.

Fact...there is no cost increase to regulate. It is just a regulation...nothing more...nothing less. It will be managed just like catch limits, size limits, bait restrictions etc.

Fact...one nice 20 + inch rainbow is significantly larger in weight to 3 - 12 inch stocked rainbows.

Fact...Alberta Fisheries biologists are involved and they are the educated and experienced ones that will affirm this makes sense prior to implementation. Nothing we demand will make it happen. We are not a strong enough nor vocal enough political power block for any politician to care.

Fact...the reason why this is happening for Kananaskis Lakes is for the same simple reason it happened at Bullshead. Some very hard working fishermen like yourselves saw a place to make a change for the better and have started to work hard to try and make the change happen. Your interest in other areas is admirable. I would strongly suggest YOU take the initiative and try and gather support and interest to do something about it. I would suggest talking first to other fishermen to see what the level of support is to ensure it is a common sense and well thought out idea...then approach F&W and ask for feedback and suggestions. Then start doing the hard work. Many people don't realize how much volunteer work and mental and physical effort it is to try and make a difference. These "proactive" folks should be commended!

Cheers

Sun