View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Back in the day, my Northern go to WMU was loaded with WT(looking back, most likely above average numbers), some Mule deer, decent moose numbers if you got away from the roads. General tag for WT, either sex. Dad would shoot either, I a buck. No biggie. 2 deer taken each year. Then supplemental doe tags came out. Now you could take 2 does and still have a general tag. Most camps seen had only does hanging while they waited for a decent buck. Dad and I continued with our 2 deer. Well in a few seasons, we noticed the deer numbers were dropping. Can't take out that many breeders without some consequences. Then the wolves increased, followed by some brutal deep snow winters.

5 years running, numbers are still super low. Used to see many outfitter tower stands, not anymore. Even the hunter numbers dropped. I haven't even hunted there 2 yrs running now. I still sled our haunts and go where most can't before freeze up a couple times each winter, all species sign and sightings are still low.

I agree that in some WMU's, we could go back to general tag, either sex and drop the supplemental for a few years. Other zones and farmlands, all good to keep numbers in check. Each zone could use some dedicated surveys but we all know there is no cash for that.

So I assume the WT reduction has something to do with keeping another ungulate strong? I know where I hunt, the Caribou range is supposed to hit the Norther portion yet I have never seen any so far in 20 plus years. Am I correct in my assumption? The local guide I got to know well in that WMU mentioned this to me years ago.