View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 03:26 PM

Default Skip the ice, let’s go bill fishing.

Well that was quite the day. Started out on schedule and we found the ocean ugly. I would say like a washing machine but more like a toilet. Between the swell and multiple directions of wind chop it was tough slugging on the way out. Regardless we hit the first fad and Nolan picked up a little mahi on the first or second pass. We trolled by the second fad a few times without any success so we pointed the bow north east and kept running to the area we picked up the marlin a week ago.
We put a spread out and started trolling. I was standing on the gunnel watching the spread and specifically looking at the long rigger when I saw a Spaniard leap out of the water a good 10’ with my lumo green sprocket in its gob. I yelled long rigger indicating they grab the rod and I watched the rod tip expecting it to buckle over and the reel to start screaming. Nothing but dumb looks at me. I told them what had just happened and expressed my disbelief he hadn’t hooked up when the shotgun went off. We pulled it down and passed off to Nolan expecting a Spaniard. He didn’t disappoint and brought him to the boat to join the mahi in the kill tank.

My sprocket needs new skirts and how that fish didn’t get hooked amazes me.

The spread went back out and we kept steaming north. A few minutes later the shotgun went off again and porter was up for some solid table fare.

We again got moving and although I didn’t want to leave fish to find fish the reports were that the marlin were still north of us a few miles. We trolled for about half an hour in the 120m mark and saw some trawlers so tucked in behind them to see if we could find fish. We found plenty of dolphins but of the flipper variety so started trolling in toward the 100m mark where the marlin were supposed to be. We could see one other game boat and as we got near the shotgun went off again. Rosi was up for this one and brought in a little black. I was the leader man so I didn’t get any pics at the boat on my phone.

We then had a few strikes and a couple thrown hooks. Probably missed or dropped 4 fish before we hooked another up and I brought him in.