View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Fishing three consecutive days on the Lake with one walleye daily retention limit in a slot of 45-50 cm I've noticed that from three keepers two of those fish were males.

I don't recall reading statistics regarding the gender of those kept fish.
If 66% of fish kept are indeed males then there is much less harm to the breeding Walleye population as presented in most studies.

It would be interesting to have a yearly gender harvest report on those keepers.

I would volunteer my findings.

It could be collected on Alberta Relm as it is already mandatory reporting harvest of large game animals.
It would of course depend on the lake at that time frame. Example Pigeon lake the last few years has lots of fish in the low 50's and a large number in the 43-50. Given the larger fish that are sexually mature are female most of the 50+ fish are female and most of the 43-50's are male. I have had tags for both sizes in our group for a number of years now and that is exactly as it has worked out.
Now if your on a lake with much larger sized fish then the females would be in the 60's and the males would be in the 50's. They would still all be A tag size.

I believe lots of people on here don't understand fish breeding. They are not like deer where one male can successfully fertilize all the eggs from a herd.
Our Fish are broadcast spawners and it takes multiple males per female to get reasonable fertilization rates. Esp from the large females with 100K eggs. So you don't really want heavily skewed sex ratios. And yes our tag system does exactly that.