View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I guess a large part of the disconnect comes from the fact that you must not of fished Bullshead after the regulation change. Is that a true statement? Seeing is often believing and catching is in the eye of the beholder. Without the successes of the past...I too would wonder about the turnout although my intuition and common sense thinking would lead to believe in a net benefit to the average angler. I would suggest you try that fishery and talk to as many people as I have to see what the impression of the before and after benefits are.

It is all fine and good to study to death something...but I am not sure you will ever get the exact answers you are looking for specific to each and every Quality Lake fishery proposal. Often history has the best lessons to learn and we have learned a lot to deem this to be a great idea.
Sorry Sundancefisher, I didn't mean to ignore your question. No, I have never fished Bullshead Reservoir however I know a little about it. I think that to say a certain stocking program or regulation will work in one body of water because it worked in a different body of water is simplifying things somewhat. I know that it isn't true. Almost every body of water is different, whether it be the geographical location, water quality, food supply, water level fluctuations and on and on.

Are you suggesting that Bullshead and the Kan Lakes are near identical in every way so what holds true for one should be adopted for the other?

There is no requirement to study something to death but some study is required. You may not get the answer that you are looking for (ie. Kan Lakes might not be able to support the amount of large fish projected) but knowing that before tabling this proposal would probably be a good thing to know.

Case in point - About 20 years ago I was involved with introducing Rainbow trout into a lake in Petawawa, Ontario. I had a choice of 5 different lakes to chose from and I worked with MNR to determine which lake would be the best choice. Even though all 5 bodies of water looked the same and were in the same geographical location it was determined that 2 lakes were not suitable.

I realize that this petition is not about introducing a new species into the lakes but the point that I'm trying to make is that bodies of water are different.