View Single Post
Old 02-26-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
Target shootin. I modded my magazine so it will except any length.
For strictly Target I always work from jamming the lands to touching the lands first. Most times I end up roughly half way there.

I find jam and note the OAL, then I find touch and note the OAL. From there I load starting about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the recommended powder charge to a bit over max in .3 gr. increments. I load these at jam minus .002, 3 rounds of each charge. Fire these at a target, different point for each working up the charge weights until you see signs of pressure, stop there. I use a heavier bolt lift to say enough. When you see pressure that minus .3 gr. is max load. Now of the groups you see one will be best and hopefully the ones on each side will be better as well. That is your powder load. The using that powder load, load 3 rounds at the powder load and length that was .002 short of jam, then load another 3 same powder load but back off the length another .003, then another load -.006, etc. Work your way back .003 at a time till you are about .010 short of touch, should work out to about 10 rounds of three.

One of those will be best. Then using that length you can try some loads .2 grs of powder on each side. Should be in a good range.

Too find jam I use and empty case that has the primer removed, it needs to be sized to hold the bullet. Put the bullet in the case and load it too long. Lightly wax the bullet put it into the chamber and close the bolt. The bolt should force the bullet into the case and when you open it it should stay, it has been jammed into the case. Measure the OAL and repeat a few times with fresh case to make sure they grip the bullet tightly and find a consistent measurement.

To find touch use the jammed case and set the bullet .0010 deeper for the first try. Pull the bolt from the rifle and place cartridge into the rifle using a finger to push the case onto the chamber. Turn rifle barrel up, the case with the bullet in it should not fall out. I use a cleaning rod and gently tap it out from the muzzle end. Now working in .002 increments move the bullet deeper into the case. Work until the cartridge falls out when you point the muzzle up. When it falls out that measurement plus .002 is touch.

I find most times the most accurate load is between touch and jam although some rifles like to be out of the rifling completely. Most rifles have a range of roughly .020 between jam and touch. Please note field rifles should be loaded out of the lands, so shorter than touch so as to avoid a stuck bullet. Having said that I am usually between touch and jam and have never had trouble with stuck bullets.

Thomas Sowell