View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Brendon444's lengthly post was referencing USA statistics, hence it largely does not apply to us because our statistics are significantly different in Canada and we have tighter gun control than the USA and a thing called 'licensing' which screens out the majority of criminals and whacko's.

Brendon was unwilling to answer my question posed earlier about how disarming the law abiding will prevent gang violence, these are people who already import drugs & guns across the border and are responsible for a disproportionate amount of Canada's shootings. Obviously they won't stop importing guns and those statistics will remain stable, if not increase. People will have one less option for suicide among the infinite number of other methods, does one propose that suicides will cease? Histpry shows that suicide numbers remain relatively stable after firearms bans, only the methods vary.

I guess Brendon has never heard of a wilderness carry permit which can saves lives of people whose occupations bring them into the bush where their work requires that they need to have their hands available so they can't be carrying a rifle. His entire stance is based on falsehoods: his link only had US statistics and the opinion that 'there's no reason to have a handgun'. The only thing preventing more uses for handguns is some existing laws on the books here in Canada: if the law didn't specifically prohibit such use, we could hunt with them (try providing a plausible justification for that law). If the law didn't prohibit such use, we could defend ourselves with them (Ever the victim of a home invasion? I was). If the law didn't prevent it we could target shoot with them. Comprehend the pattern here. Its not a lack of uses, its laws that prevent such uses. How many human lives were saved by the no handgun hunting legislation? I've got all week to wait for an answer for that one.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-21-2019 at 02:18 PM.