View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM

I run a small strikemast mag. 2000 with an 8" blade. It is my first auger and I bought it almost 3 years ago now. It is a light weight auger and has never had any problems starting it. It isn't the fastest auger on the market but being as light as it is I have no problem taking a few seconds longer on each hole.

My buddy bought one of the new strikemaster strike lites last year with the plastic auger. It drilled really nice and was pretty light. I was worried about the auger being plastic but he hasn't had any problems with it so far. It is also a 4 stroke so its really quiet and no mixing of oil and gas. He told me the other day that he was having a problem with it and thinks its a head gasket so hopefully he can get that figured out soon and strikemaster will help him out since the auger isn't even a year old yet.

I have tried a couple different eskimos and they seemed heavier but drilled nice and seemed to be pretty reliable.

I have also used a jiffy and it was really heavy and really loud but drilled holes like a monster. It also used gas twice as fast as my auger does so that is another downside to the jiffy I tried.

I remember a guy has a pretty new husquavarna that wouldn't start in anything below like -10 to -15. It was a really good auger on nice days but good luck trying to get it going when it was cold and crappy out. It was also super light and super quiet when it ran. I am not sure if this was just a problem with that one or if they all have that same problem.