View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
If you want to hunt for them specifically best chances of getting one is finding a den. I had a chance at one a few years back but of course i thought I had one uptop, which turned out to be an empty chamber!!! Lil fella got down into his lair and after that close call, could not find him. Sat over that hole for days watching..... waiting but nothing. He was a VERY nice 3X4!

As far as locations go, you have to find an area with a large overlap of WT deer and jack rabbits. If there is an apple tree or some other kind of fruit tree in the area that is a great localized start point. Fermented fruit lowers the animals inhibitions resulting in one night stands. They are a wiley animal and definatly require you to hold your tounge just right while persuing these critters. If you do manage across one, make sure your shot is good and true. A wounded bear looks like a tame bug compared to a wounded lope. They become super aggressive and being already fast they can strike from all angles before you can get a new round uptop. Be safe out there
I have heard of them being ruthless when injured or feeling cornered,
But I had never been given as good of clue as the overlap needed..
I shall begin to start mapping out every deer in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Sometimes you might find a population of Jillalopes in your area.
Simply leave a selection of "girly" drinks out at night - Vodka and cranberry being a favourite.
Once the Jillalopes are drunk, the Jackalopes will turn up in droves.

A selection of girly drinks should be easy to round up, I still have some sourpuss aswell as lemon gin from my last Snipe hunting trip near the Sunchild road.. Similar experience with drunk Jillalopes and the species I observed there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Well, I haven't told anyone about this yet...but we have one in captivity. It (we are now sure if it is a himalope or a heralope)is living in the chicken coop part of the big old barn here on the ranch. We have been feeding it all kinds of stuff to see what it likes as we heard they can actually be rather tasty if fed properly. So far it seems happiest when it has milk (homo milk, not that skim crap) and fresh lawn clippings. But now that we are not mowing the lawn anymore, I have been growing grass in the greenhouse. We have been introducing it to rolled organic barley flakes mixed with cranberries. This should result in prime well-marbled jackalope just in time for Christmas. It is already 450 pounds!
Needless to say, we are becoming a bit fearful at feeding time which is about six times a day as it hurls itself at the chicken wire repeatedly, and we are hoping it won't break through! When it isn't gobbling down its food, it hums! And I mean. it hums so loud that the ranch owner has been wondering what the noise is...We haven't told him about the critter or he would likely get mad and expect us to give him at least half when we butcher it later.

How could you Endanger your family like that??
You must have the Cajones of a Silverback Gorilla!
Can you elaborate on how you captured it originally?
I had never thought of trapping for one, just spot and stalk...
Now the ideas are flowing