View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 AM

In the area I hunt there is heavy FN pressure. They do take their fair share, and mostly off the main roads to be sure. So be it. I know more than a few of them and believe it or not more than 1 hunt only with a cross bow! The vast majority only harvest what they need for their family and nothing more. We all hear and read about the FN horror stories but their are just as many on the other side of the fence as well! Think about it!

As their hunting activity and rights and other entitlements are a Federal gov't responsibility and the management of game populations and regulation of people not covered by Federal treaty is Provincially mandated resolving management issues between the 2 groups is going to be like pulling hen's teeth. The Feds / Provinces can't agree on anything.

NOTHING is getting done across the country about anything! For us to think we can get them to agree about Moose or other game problems is likely academic at best.

This year we have seen more moose than anyone can remember. What stands out to me is no calves. None. Lots of mature cows, mature bulls and not 1 calf from this year. Bears everywhere, blacks and grizz. Cougar tracks everywhere, thinking a big Tom. Wolf tracks all over every road, trail or other disturbance you see. Bear, cougar and wolf sightings very common. Much more common than moose or elk sightings.

We have a wolf bounty but the local government ran out of funds on it a couple months ago. They had $15000 in the budget and at $300 a wolf ran out of money in approx 7 months.

Other posters on here also mention predators being a big issue.

Maybe we need to enlist FN hunters in helping to control the predator population by extending bounties or other incentives? Every little bit would help. Just a thought.