View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Default what the law says

I know that the issue of crossbows in archery season has been a pretty hot and controversial topic over the past few years with a lot of misinformation and assumptions from all sides.

I was researching some recent law in Alberta and I was not surprised to find firearms prohibitions in criminal cases where force or assaults had occurred. What did surprise me was the language of the prohibitions:
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

“You are prohibited from owning, having in your possession or carrying a weapon, including knives except those you use for preparing or eating food. Work tools, while you are at work, are a permitted exception to this ban.

You are prohibited from possessing a firearm, crossbow, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition, prohibited ammunition or explosive substance.”

So it would seem that the Alberta Judicial System makes a distinction between recurves, long bows and compound bows and crossbows. The latter being more closely approximated to a firearm as evidenced in prohibition bans.

I’m not a lawyer, but it seems to me that this may carry some positive weight and precedent in the determination of what hunting season a crossbow belongs. For what it’s worth anyway

Last edited by Sharp Stick; 12-17-2010 at 11:53 AM.