View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moults View Post
I know this post I super old but I’m just reading it now. I used to be a wildland firefighter in the Clearwater area. I was involved in both fire suppression and prescribed burning. I assure you that getting these burns done safely is a lot harder than it sounds. There’s a very narrow window of conditions in which the match can be lit without either an incomplete/ineffective burn or having it get away on us and creating a major problem.

I can also assure you that the SRD folks are eager to get these burns done/ It’s well known that they need to happen.

I can assure you that SRD's left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing when it comes to their wildfire policy. It causes problems when burns for wildlife/lands is at stake.

Check out this old thread.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=willmore+fire

What happened here is Fire Suppression began an attack to put out this wildfire without knowing that this area of the Park is under a Wildfire management plan. Wildfires are to be allowed to burn.

When I raised the alarm in an attempt to have Fire suppression retreat, they howled like a beat hound. They just couldn't understand that they had to leave this fire to burn. Fortunately others in SRD carried a big stick.... Happy days in the end, we got Alberta Wildfire to back off and a Great burn.

If your not too busy, get in touch with WSFAB, they could use your experience.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."