View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM

Default Problems with hour cuts.

Hi Fellas. I didn't really know where to turn to talk to someone about this , so I thought I'd post here as I'm from Edmonton.

I am a cabinetmaker who left my job last June as my company was moving farther away and not feasible to work there anymore. I am mainly a shop worker and prefer that position.

Right around that time, my stepbrother who is an millwork installer offered me a job to work with him for more money installing and service work. That went well until Xmas and since then I've only been getting 40-50 hrs. in 2 weeks if I'm lucky. It's starting to get really hard for me surviving on that. I feel like he's pulled me from the fire regarding my last job and has been pretty generous to me with wages/bonus, etc , but these missing days of work are hurting.

I like the flexibility of working with him ( just 2 of us) and how he's rewarded me in the past , but am wondering if I should leave for more permanent hours at probably less pay elsewhere ( even if I could get in somewhere) At least I'd know what my next cheque could be.

I'm thinking we might even get swamped in a month but I've heard nothing concrete and am going day to day. I am wondering if I should hold tight for now and reap bigger money if we're busy soon , or quit and get the lower-paid, steady paycheque route. I'm sure he would understand my position and I doubt it would alienate our relationship family-wise , but right now I'm kind of torn between my loyalty to him , and having to put up with " sorry , no work today" every few days.

I haven't had a cheque over 50 hrs/2 weeks since last November.

Any advice fellas?