View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Okay...that was fun so what yall are trying to tell me is you get the extra horsepower magnums for the 300 yrd stuff so there is less worries about wind and other field variables than with a non-magnum slow poke right? Okay...got it...sorry to put everyone through all that!

So what say yee all?....back to the perfect sheep rifle and caliber and why? No going to the long range stuff AT ALL!

Whats the deal with this control round feed type action? Seen a thread somewhere recently where guys were yackin about rems, sako's etc. etc. and this CRF business. How important is that feature. Crap...can't find the thread but anyhow, you gun pro's will know how to answer this one? Oh, they were also going on about the ejectors too...do expand yee fair smokepole wizards!

As for CRF stuff, I'm not the biggest fan. The biggets misconception is CRF is needed for dangerous game and harried situations, where one might be standing on his or her's head trying to cycle the action. I counter with the fact that 90% of all functioing difficulties with bolt actions occur through poor manipultion of the action by "the nut behind the bolt"(short stroking, and double feeding)
Proof of the choice of a true DG rifle is what 90% of the PH's carry if a second shot is anticipated they usually carry a double rifle, now that's a true DG rifle IMO.
Which make of bolt action is the most desireable for a sheep rilfe, well that's gonna cause a whole bunch of differing opinions followed by a heap of slagging. I look at it this way, if it works for you, and it shoots for you, then that's the one for you.
As for the quindesential sheep calibre, well if it works for you, and it shoots for you then that's the one for you.
As for my choice here it is:

LH 788 Remington in .284 Winchester.
24" Gailliard barrel, MPI glass stock, 3-9 Leupy compact.
Total weight with 3 rounds, Uncle Mikes sling, scope, and all, 7.4lbs.

Of course your milage may vary.

There are no absolutes