View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have a few in S30V, I actually got some laser engraved as my premium corporate swag. Cabela's has one in an Alaska Guide model (btw: PVC primer and elbow grease takes of the goofy Cabela's logo, I think I used a scotch brite pad along with it). There are also some others currently. Vantage Pro, Vantage Force Pro. If you don't mind used or models out of production there's always eBay or similar sites to shop for discontinued models. I also have an two older ones that used a Sandvik 13C26 steel, one with salt & pepper laminate scales is my primary EDC and the other is missing but it's somewhere in the house! The Sandvik 13C26 steel is better than the 440 and darn close to an equivalent to the S30V by my laymans account, and I even use it for reaming copper pipe burrs from time to time! Just inspect the knife you get for how well the liner lock engages, some are inconsistent and might either be loosely engaged (blade rattles) or somewhat close to the edge for confidence about a full lock up.

In the last five years or so the quality of steel has risen so much that to the layman feel, it is near impossible to tell the difference.

I will say this though, trying to sharpen the real hard steel can be a challenge.....For me a hard steel reacts better to a strop; just don't wait for a long time between sharpening.

http://knifeinformer.com/discovering...t-knife-steel/

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.