View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Guns for deer for the new guy

Okay, so the last forum I started, entitled "Best Caliber for Deer", may have gotten a little out of hand, so I think I should maybe re-start.

So, basically, what I'm looking at purchasing, as my first big-game rifle(having put maybe 20-30 rounds through the barrel of a .22), is a Tikka T3 or a Browning A-Bolt chambered in .270 Winchester. From my reading, I understand that this caliber is more than enough for deer, and in fact an elk-quality rifle in the right hands. The reason the T3 and the A-Bolt appeal to me are because both seem to be well-regarded rifles that are available in left-handed configurations, one of my requirements(when I shoulder a rifle, I instinctively use my left hand on the trigger, and my left eye is my dominant eye.).

Rather than everyone giving me their strong opinion over the best manufacturer and the best caliber for killing anything, I am curious about facts. While I'm sure most of you are experienced hunters with only the best interests of a new shooter at heart, in the aforementioned forum I found that all the information got lost in the strong opinions.

So, here we go. I'm curious to know the following.

1) Who has shot deer with a .270 Winchester on more than one occasion, from ranges that a beginner would shoot(I figure 100-150 yards), from varying angles, and had success, even with a less-than-perfect shot?
2) Has anyone that has regularly used a .270 Winchester found a better caliber for similar applications, that they would recommend for a new shooter? (The only stipulation I have here is that I find .270 Winchester ammunition is available in a variety of grains almost everywhere, and if I change caliber, I'd like something equally readily available.)
3) Besides the two aforementioned rifles, can anyone recommend something similar that they have had personal experience with? My requirements are as follows: left-handed configuration, .270 Winchester caliber(currently), preferably with a stainless barrel and a synthetic stock(for durability reasons), for under $1000.00, or near that anyway.

I understand that in that third question, I have opened myself to all kinds of debatable opinions. So let me say the following. To those that are of the "It's not what you shoot, it's how you shoot it" school of thought, I certainly agree with you, but at this point I need to have a rifle that I can learn to shoot consistently. For those that believe that nearly any rifle is suitable with the right scope and ammunition, also I agree, and if I could just look through a scope and throw bullets, I would, but my understanding is that rifles are recommended. And lastly, I understand that every person is different, and that different rifles fit different bodies, but I would like to have a few ideas of what to look at besides the two I've already mentioned. Thoughts from left-handed shooters are especially helpful, as you guys know what is available to the south paw community.

That being said, here are a few unrelated questions that I would appreciate answers to. Once I actually get to that point, I'll attack them in a more in-depth manner, but right now it's just to satisfy my curiosity.

1) Is it reasonable to ask someone for a recommendation for a good general-purpose scope that a beginner would find useful, something for hunting in light and semi-dense brush, or are certain rifles preferential to certain scopes?

2) Is hand-loading ammunition for deer hunting once or twice a year a worthwhile endeavor, or is there enough high-quality ammunition out there to keep a guy like me happy? Keep in mind, I have a pro to teach me about hand-loading, and I don't have to pay for any of the equipment, just brass and powder. If quality ammo is already readily available, can someone suggest some popular brands and retailers known to carry them? I work for Canadian Tire, but outside of some hunting clothing, calls, scents, stands, and blinds, the only ammunition names that we carry are Federal, Federal Premium(very limited selection of weights/calibers), Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester Power-Point, and CCI ammunition in .22 calibers. We do not sell firearms at my location.

3) I recently found a Tikka T3 Lite with a synthetic stock and a blued barrel, in .270 Winchester, left-handed configuration, for about $720.00. Does this sound like a reasonable purchase for a first rifle, or am I getting ripped off?

Thanks for all those that reply.

Brad