View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 PM

1) Who has shot deer with a .270 Winchester

I have, and they all have hit the dirt as if they were struck by lightning. Black bears, coyotes, antelope and groundhogs too, same effect. The .270 Win is also a popular gun in BC, the Yukon and Alaska, where there is little for deer hunting, and it's used to kill all varieties of game from small blacktail deer and mountain goats, up to moose, caribou and grizzly bear.

2) Has anyone that has regularly used a .270 Winchester found a better caliber for similar applications, that they would recommend for a new shooter?

I don't own a .270 Win right now but my main rifle is a .270 WBY. Basically
the same thing, only a little faster and more expensive. There is no animal
in the world that I couldn't kill with 140g TBBC, Interbonds, Partitions or TSX. I would recommend the .270 Win sooner than just about anything else. The
7mm-08 is nice too, but unless you get a true short action rifle, there is no sense.

I can't see recommending the .25-06 or .264 Win Mag to this guy. Neither had any 'real world' advantage over the .270 Win. One is so uncommon that it is for all intents and purposes obsolete. If you want a varmint gun, get a 22-250.

3) Besides the two aforementioned rifles, can anyone recommend something similar that they have had personal experience with? My requirements are as follows: left-handed configuration, .270 Winchester caliber(currently), preferably with a stainless barrel and a synthetic stock(for durability reasons), for under $1000.00, or near that anyway.

Left hand narrows it down real quick. Tikka T3. The only other gun I would
recommend is an older Remington 700 BDL/ADL, and might be hard to find
especially in stainless with a synthetic stock.

1) Is it reasonable to ask someone for a recommendation for a good general-purpose scope that a beginner would find useful, something for hunting in light and semi-dense brush, or are certain rifles preferential to certain scopes?

Leupold VXII 2-7x33, 3-9x40, Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x33 or 3-9x40. Check out
the cheaper Leupold Rifleman and VXI scopes too.

2) Is hand-loading ammunition for deer hunting once or twice a year a worthwhile endeavor, or is there enough high-quality ammunition out there to keep a guy like me happy?

You might find interest in it. Personally, I'd sooner quit hunting than be cooped up for hours on end hunched over a press. There's tons of good ammo produced and it's easy to get a hold of if you know where to look. I haven't owned a rifle in the past 20 years that couldn't achieve acceptable
hunting accuracy with factory ammo, and by that I mean 3 shots into 1" at 100 meters.

3) I recently found a Tikka T3 Lite with a synthetic stock and a blued barrel, in .270 Winchester, left-handed configuration, for about $720.00. Does this sound like a reasonable purchase for a first rifle, or am I getting ripped off?

Contact Ellwood Epps, in Orillia, Ontario. They can get your gun and ship it to you for cheaper than any of the 'discount' places in Alberta. But don't expect to find many left-handed rifle on sale.