Thread: marten
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Keg, agree mobility in old days was limited, however beaver were in high demand and top prices. A lot of hungry trappers in 400 years can wipe out a significant population. Suspect beaver diseases also played a role in more isolated areas of bush. Probably a combination of things similar to what is now happening to marten number fluctuations, like Jim mentioned when fisher numbers went up marten decrease.
I'm sure other factors played a role, in fact I believe that trapping played a very limited role if at all.

One has to remember that much of the north was only opened up recently. Steel traps were introduced here back in the late 1800s but saw use only by native trappers who trapped more for immediate needs then for profit as Europeans do.

Outsiders didn't really start to trap this area until around 1930 and then, only a few trapped this far north for many years.

I just don't think a limited number of trappers with very limited mobility and old fashioned equipment could do what today's farmers and trappers have been unable to do. in about the same time frame.

George Bernard Shaw