View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM

I always shot rifles right handed, when getting into archery I was shooting right hand recurves. My uncle was a competitive compound shooter and when he checked my eye dominance, I was left eye dominant, so he didn't even give me an option and set up a left handed compound. I've been shooting left handed archery for almost 20 years and the muscle memory has developed to the point that pulling a right handed bow feels awkward.

When I got into shotguns and handguns where there was more benefit to shooting left handed I gave it a try but the muscle memory from shooting rifles right handed took over and everything felt awkward. Ended up being too much of a struggle for me and went back to right handed and just awkwardly close my left eye or throw some scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses.

If I had the gumption to keep with left handed shooting I think it would have eventually worked better than what I'm doing, but the frustration of re-learning the mechanics proved to be too much for me.