View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 AM

It's kind of funny to hear of the people that drive for hours away from a truly world class river. I love the mountain streams. The "getting away from it all" feeling.
But as an angler, if you can't see what is plainly right in front of your nose then I have few words.
June 16th is the best day of the year for me fishing wise. That's when people start flooding west and leave more runs for me and my small group of fishing friends in the Bow.
I've taken many new people out and had them catch truly big fish. 24" rainbows are possible. Not everyday occurrences to be sure but they definitely are there.
Most rivers in North America a 16" rainbow or brown trout is a real good fish. That's the mark to try for. A lot of rivers around SW Alberta people try to attain the magical 18" range. That's a hog in so many places in the world. In the Bow many don't remark on the day unless there is a fish 22" or bigger. Why is that I wonder? Because it is a World Class fishery. I've landed a couple rainbows over 25 for me or friends and 1 brown in the 25" range. I've had plenty in the 22-23 3/4" range that just miss the magical 2 foot mark. Hooking up with a 20+" fish on a little dry fly is magical.
I just don't get some people.