View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Not only that but I find creeks and smaller rivers more challenging to Fly-fish as you have to skillfully toss flies in between deadfall, large boulders, and navigate narrow banks filled with trees that you could get caught up in if you don't cast perfectly.

That's just my opinion.

To each their own.

I think I was wrong to say the Bow River is disgusting. Only certain sections of it. I think Shouldice Park and Upstream from there probably has less pollution and smell than the lower reaches. I would like to fish the Bow near Canmore.
I understand it is not really the same river in many respects (with the reservoirs along the way and many other factors) but a float on the upper Bow this summer was an amazing experience. I travelled the waters downstream from Canmore with Nick, the owner of Wapiti, on the oars. Didn't see another boat all day until we hit Dead Man's, and this was on a long weekend. Such a beautiful part of our province, and a spectacular day on the water!

I think there are some very solid reasons why Calgary's Bow has the reputation it does as a blue ribbon fishery. For many folks the larger fish are the ticket... #sizematters. I certainly don't fault them for that. Perhaps if I lived in Cowtown I would regularly fish the Bow, but for the introvert in me the draw is to go west versus north, to smaller water with fewer people. Yes, even if that typically means smaller fish. As for the smell, I think growing up in tiny towns surrounded by farms, and pike fishing many prairie lakes along the way, has made me immune to caring much about that.