View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 04:04 PM

Smile Cross Bow Permit Clarification regarding "Amputee" status

As a point of clarification (as cut and pasted from the Act), one does not have to be an "AMPUTEE" in order to obtain a crossbow license/permit:

Cross-bow licence - eligibility

41 A person is eligible to obtain or hold a cross‑bow licence if and only if he is an individual who

(a) is

(i) a paraplegic,

(ii) a quadriplegic,

(iii) a hemiplegic,

(iv) a single above‑the knee lower limb amputee, or

(v) a double lower limb amputee,

or

(b) suffers from any other physical condition, affliction or handicap that is permanent in nature and that involves an upper limb paralysis or amputation that prevents that individual from utilizing conventional archery equipment

It is the "or"component that recognizes "paralysis" that may be resultant from physical condition, etc.

While an amputee generally is granted a permit, these permits are annual in nature (expiration of March of following year), and although the conditon must be permanent in nature, all applicants must apply yearly for the permit (somewhat of an oxymoron). I have attained a permit, annually, due to signficant left arm fixation (due to signficant joint fracture with internal fixation) that has prevented marked and significant extension of the arm for any "conventional" bowhunting applications. While I am not an amputee, there would be no other way to engage in archery activities without a crossbow (try drawing a conventional bow when your arm does move past 50 degrees of extension). Thought I would respond before anyone gets on the issue of "amputation" being essential to the permit/license.