View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Sharpedge

Default Killing animals

I'm a recent newcomer to this forum and so far I am impressed with the content and general good manners shown. However I am reminded that one never sees the eyes of the writer.

And what an interesting thread this has been. So many shots and yet so many misses too.

Undoubtedly you all have your opinions and various degrees of experience in the subject of hunting. But how much real experience do you have when it comes to killing animals? This is the point that is missed when the crossbow issue is raised, time and time again.

The crossbow was invented because the longbow of the time was inefficient in the hands of amateurs. And that's what the average big game hunter is compared to everyday professional killers of animals. Like it or not, the average hunter will kill less animals in a lifetime than a slaughterman might kill in a few hours. And slaughtermen are not granted as much as thirteen years to practice and develop the necessary skills either. (This is what one writer claims when talking about his bowhunting experience.) This begs the obvious question: Notwithstanding "targets" what does one practice on?

If we accept the legitimacy of hunting animals with sharp instruments, such as the broadheaded arrow (or bolt), why do we continuously argue about the method of delivery?

I believe we all have a moral duty to allow the best of tools to be used by those who still choose to hunt for all the right reasons. The way an animal dies should not be dictated by those who would involve the subject animal in the equation of difficulty for perceived bragging rights.

And a farmer, rancher, landowner, the physically challenged, aged, youth or whomever, should not be required to develop the prowess to use an inferior tool simply because the law refuses to accept that there is a better way, whilst also being safer than using a firearm. This is the status quo in many parts of the WMUs that are currently 'archery only'. And this is blatantly unfair to both the ethical shooter and the target animals!

People are also being refused permission to hunt with bow and arrows for reasons true or false. If those same folks gained permission because the crossbow is known and proven to be better in most hands: what would anyone be losing?

Sharpedge