View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Don't believe any figures you may read or see on a box or advertisement. Buy a chrony and school yourself. Figures from factory ammo suppliers are horrifically exagerated.
I do have a chronograph and I know that some brands are far off. I also know that some are not. I know from my own chronograph and I know from killing deer that the 3030 is plenty to 200 yards for deer.

There are a lot of people who feel that a round nose or flat nose bullet gives the 30-30 greater killing power on light game than a spitzer because it delivers its energy easily and early in the wound channel.

Now, of course, you can use a spitzer bullet like an accu-bond or GMX etc if you really wanted in the marlin 336. Simply put one in the chamber and one in the tube. Two shots should be plenty for an animal and if you need a third, it only takes a second to pick one off the butt stock cartridge holder.

I find it odd that people think of the 30-30 as something of a lame duck. I mean, it will push a 170gr bullet at around 2200-2250+ fps with handloads.

Compare that against the 308win which will push the same bullet at 2550fps with handloads. That's only about 300 fps more. Those people think that the 308win will kill any game in Alberta out to 300+ yards yet they believe the 30-30 can't kill a deer at 200 yards. It's ridiculous.

30-30 has probably killed more game animals than any other caliber in history including moose and elk.

It's a great cartridge and will most certainly kill deer out to 200 yards which, as I mentioned, is an easy range to aim to with an aperture sight.