View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
It seems like one of Harper's ministers signed off on the request (suggestion, whatever apparently from the RCMP) to ban the Swiss Arms rifle. So is the prohibition order on the RCMP, this minister, or both? It would seem that the minister's signature would be what made the ban official - not as some suggest, the RCMP making the law on their own. A number of "reasons" for the minister doing this are seeming being put forth (read damage control) and probably more will come. Interesting will be if this same minister signed off on the (suggestion, whatever) as regards the CZ 858. If this minister is signing anything to do with the banning of any firearms and doesn't realize the impact of what he is doing, then he should no longer be in a ministerial position. The public needs a whole lot more information than is available right now. The point being - the ban is in place. What if anything is Harper going to do about it as it has the potential to create a very significant backlash in the face of an election.
Here is Steven Blaney's reply after the fact. I hope he does as he says, and corrects this problem. I don't want to have to turn in anything now or in the future.

http://www.conservative.ca/?p=4369

Unacceptable

February 28, 2014

Conservatives have always stood up for law-abiding gun owners.

That’s why I was troubled to learn of a decision made by unelected bureaucrats to prohibit a number of rifles imported from Switzerland.

I want to assure you that I will not let law-abiding gun owners suffer as a result of this situation.

These now “prohibited” firearms had been classified as non-restricted for more than a decade. The RCMP has no idea how many of these rifles exist, and they have not announced any plan on how to deal with those who purchased these firearms lawfully.

I want to assure you all options are on the table to fix this situation. I will also be taking steps to make sure this never happens again.

The actions of these bureaucrats are absolutely unacceptable and I will be announcing concrete measures in the coming days.

Our Conservative Government is on your side — and we will always stand up for the rights of law-abiding firearms owners.

Thank you once again for your years of loyal support.

Sincerely,

Steven Blaney
MP, Levis-Bellechasse