View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle, in .40 cal

Rice barrel, Chambers lock. kit is $995 USD, all in.

Newbie builders are finishing these in a couple weeks, but it’s up to you. Simply a great rifle. Check it out at:

https://www.jimkibler.net/rifle-16.html

I will be ordering one in the next few weeks. There is a couple month wait, but that is fine, as long as I have it for the fall. Look at the crate he ships the kit in!
Whoever put that Southern Mountain Rifle together that they have on their website does truly excellent work. The wood to metal fit, architecture and flow of the rifle is truly outstanding.

CB

I like Flint because they are cheap to shoot, 40 to 150 rounds out of one flint, a 40 cal gets about 175 rounds per pound, and are a real fun challenge to learn to shoot them well. Shooting offhand, and shooting off of crossed sticks are two very traditional methods. Very few muzzle loaders, except military guns and most of those were smooth bores, had slings. None had permanently attached slings except military pieces.

A woods walk can be loafing in the woods but in BP it usually means a trail at a range with a series of 20 to 50 targets set up a different ranges that you shoot with rifle, pistol, or throw hawk or knife at. All shooting is off hand with open sites.

Given your right arm issues, I would not go for sure with a swamped barrel. Any of the American styles you like, a Yeager or an English hunting rifle would work well for the type of shooting you want to do. If they did them in LH the The Southern Mountain rifle Carbine posted the link to in 40 Cal is only 7 Lbs and would make a real good first project for a beginner builder as it is complete and just needs finishing. That said there are lots of good quality kits available in left hand, just go through the builders till you find a style you like.

These guys make LH Southern Rifles and a number of other styles in LH. It also gives you a pretty good idea of the different styles.

http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleload.../southern-rifl

Last edited by Dean2; 04-29-2018 at 01:08 AM.