View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Default Top Cop Gently Making Armed Self Defense Suggestion?

Shock may have prevented friends from intervening in stabbing: Chief Hanson

BY EVA FERGUSON, CALGARY HERALD APRIL 16, 2014

Calgary Police Chief Rick Hanson speaks to members of the media about the murder of five people at a house party on Butler Crescent NW in Calgary on April 15, 2014.
Photograph by: Leah Hennel , Calgary Herald
A group of 20 young adults might have been too shocked or too fearful to intervene during a horrific stabbing that killed five people early Tuesday, said the city’s police chief.

“These kids were all just out of school, having fun at this party, and completely not expecting anything like this to happen,” said Chief Rick Hanson.

“Some might have wanted to intervene, but others might have been too shocked, and others might have just wanted to leave.

“It’s not always easy to disarm someone who has a weapon, when you don’t have one yourself.”

Hanson said police are continuing to interview and re-interview the 20 people that were at the party at the time of the stabbing in the early morning hours of Tuesday.

Hanson stressed that he understands the community is asking questions, as they should, about why and how something so horrific could happen.

“And I know at some point we will have those answers.”

Beyond interviewing witnesses, police are looking into the details of the whereabouts of the man accused in the killing in the hours leading up to the crime, including his time at work and his state of mind. The man accused of the first-degree murders attended the party that evening as an invited guest.

“We need to know everything that happened leading up to this to help us understand what actually happened.”

Hanson confirmed that the police know the accused arrived at the party some time after his shift Monday at a northwest grocery store.

“In fact he arrived at the party wearing his smock ....”

It’s alleged the accused also brought a box cutter to the home, though Hanson would not say whether a box cutter was used in the crime.

“He arrived and then just visited with people.”

It’s still not clear what led to the fatal incident that was called in as a stabbing in progress at about 1:20 a.m.

For more information on the accused’s state of mind, police are also combing through his belongings and his online activity.

“We are looking through all of this computers, all of his cellphones, his electronic devices, anything that is relevant. We will go anywhere we need to investigate and gather evidence.”

Hanson asked the families of those 20 kids that were at the party to seek out any psychological help they need through the police’s victim assistance unit or Alberta Health.

“I wish I had this pearl of wisdom to impart to parents that would guarantee that this would never happen again. But I don’t and I can’t.

“These were good kids, in a safe place, but then suddenly this happened.”

I'd like to have a beer with the Chief. Of all the cop interviews I've ever read this guy makes the most sense. At least he isn't clamouring for a knife ban like the dip****s in Saskatoon and Edmonton.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw