View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 AM

My 3 long shooting pals got me into the Grand Slam bullets back in the 80's,,, all of us have had incredible success with them over the years.

Harold uses the 180gr 30 cal's in his Ought-6,,, 150gr in Al's 270,,, Stan liked the 175's in his 7mm Mags,,, and I used the 150gr bullet in my 308 winchester along with the 190 gr'ers in my 300 Mag. Very similar to the 210.

Lots of Deer, Elk, Moose and chicken head shots,,, of course this didn't exclud the odd Coyote at the farm.

After looking at all of the impacts over the years, it's no wonder that Jack O'Connor and lots of other shooters picked these bullets,,, it was the flag ship of things to come.

Many other bullet makers jumped on board once the reviews started coming in.

Good frontal impacts, deep penetration,,, along with controlled expansion from each cartrage,,, of course there are advantages and disadvantage to each bullet they make depending on the cartrage.

Typically the 243 is used as a antelope / Deer rifle,,, a 338/ 375 for class II game such as Moose, Elk and Bears,,, so the company makes bullets specific for each intended use.

Grand Slam, Hot Core, and Deep-Curl,,, each of these bullets offer out standing performance for their intended targets.

The GS has had some minner tweeks here and there over the years,,, but it still performs like they did back in 1975. A track record of harvesting critters all around the world.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/speer_hunting_bullets.htm

Al and Harold are pretty good at checking things out once the critters are down,,, they have both noted that the frontal impacts are normally large,,, both thin and thick skin,,, a benefit of the GS to the HC or DC is that the bullets get into the core of the critter causing massive damage,,, shoulder shots hitting solid bone really send things flying. Ha. But these bullets really shines when ribs with fluids behind them absorb the shock-waves... This can be said about alot of bullets that are similar to each other.

"This is not saying that many factors out side our controls don't play a role in how things play out,,, the critter its self is part of the equation to."

I tried some other bullets for hunting over the last 2 years,,, the results were "ok",,, and I'll admit,,, I'm starting to see the differences between the 4 other brands I've been using.

But the time has come to get back to basics using the tool that has worked alot better in my hunting category,,, that's what counts for all of us,,, find something that works,,, stick with or change things up. Each hunter gets to pick and choose what best suits their needs.

It's dam cold up here in Northern Ontario this morning,,, lots of critter tracks in every direction,,, hopefully we get a chance to see how things play out when the thick skins meet their match.

Old school is sometimes the path I like to follow,,, life is much simpler that way.

Good luck everyone as we let the good times roll.

PS: thanks for the thread of sharing,,, that's what hunting is all about. Fishing to. Ha