View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM

Default Robinhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
I have tried to avoid posting in this thread for apperant reasons, But I feel I have to make a quick couple of observations, for my own good.

Doodle, you are not the first to have rebutled with a compound vs traditional comparision. Unfortunatley, making the assumption that those are two entirely diffrent groups and having them attempt to turn on each other is a waste of time. Traditional and compound archers are almost unanimous united in there distaste for the crossbow for numerous reasons as already stated. It shouldn't even be an arguement pro crossbows.

Pro crossbowers, your stance on crossbows, although you use compound bows ,is rare in your community. I find it admirable that you would be willing to sacrafice a truely unique Alberta privilage, to try to increase intrest in the outdoors and to increase the oppoturnity for people to actively hunt. Those chances were also given to everyone when the archery season was developed with the approved weapons for those seasons. Bow draw weights start at 5 pounds for children and can almost accomindate most people who want to hunt during the archery season.

Fence sitters, discrimination towards certain weapons, and equal oppoturnity for traditional/primitive weapons, and attempting to satisfy everyone, has but one logical answer. A traditional/primitive weapons season where potentially a week was taken from bowhunters and a week from rifle hunters to create a new season. The bowzones would remain a bow only zone. While a potential for creating traditional/primitive weapons only zone in the future if popularity grew.Perhaps an extension in our season into december, like our American cousins would also be a win win situation for everyone.

Against group, I fully understand your passion for attempting to refuse the crossbow. Unfortunatley your up against Goverment and money, a strong opposition will only create more hatered and dissapointment in the end. Perhaps attempting to slow down the crossbow, by having it put on a trial basis in a couple of zones for a 3 year research program. Having those seasons recorded with actual Alberta numbers, may help put a stop to the crossbow. The time the study would create may help new evidence and information come to fruition and have the goverment or biologists realize the travisty the are making. Three years would also allow for more of the bowhunters to gather for a better fight (court??) and public out cry may help prevent the crossbow.Hard real numbers would be irrafutable for any group and a study would show that.

I for one hope cooler heads prevail, and the Alberta goverment doesn't try to fix something that isn't broken, including our draws.

Rick
Robinhood

I agree it does seem that both groups are united against crossbow but they are doing so because there is strenght in numbers. Not really a strong argument when you see political parties work together if they feel it they can really to stick it to another party. That doesn't make them a closenit family. If the true reason that both are against crossbow is the fundamental dislike of the tool than I can respect that and in some ways agree with you. I am not saying they are the same weapon I am saying they are similar. But if I recall correctly Pottymounth has said himself that Compound hunters had to fight hard to get recognized by the traditional archers. Considering the difference in the two weapons I can also understand that.

My dislike of the debate here is that to many guys could care less about the crossbow other than the fact that it means lost exclusive opportunity for bowhunters. If you make the argument that you don't want crossbows used during the entire archery season fine, but lets face it, crossbows require you to be close, so they deserve a season before the rush of rifles hunters come into the woods and animals become more aware that the hunt is on.

I hate that I even got uinvolved in this as it's to time consuming to keep up and I see no resolution, at least on this site.

Again I will state that I am a Compound hunter and a member of the ABA and will not be buying a crossbow. I just think that restricting opportunities for others is not right.

Doodle