View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default blr

I bought one in '73 and then gave it to an in-law who proceeded to just BEAT it into junk. He gave it back to me just before the mandatory registration date and it was FUBAR, just worthless.

I stripped off the cracked buttstock and cracked forestock, and then soaked the entire thing in naptha over-night. I then cleaned what appeared to be a ruined bore with Sweet's, then JB paste and finished with Shooter's Choice.

I lubed it with Breakfree and then re-finished the wood by epoxy and Dem-Bart stock finish and threw an old scope on it and took it to my club. I really expected saucer size groups and was simply going to dump it to someone looking for a "parts" gun.

I shot about 10 groups and it consistently printed my warmish 180gr. handloads into .6" at 100M. So.....I decided to keep the old timer and then had it re-blued, re-timed and put a B&L 4x Compact on it and will soon replace the mounts with Talleys.

I have YET to shoot a three-shot group over .75" with this 35 yr. old rifle, the bore is shiney and, after paying about $80.00 for a new "clip", the thing works like a champ!

These are GOOD rifles, mine is Belgian made, but, the Miroku ones are also excellent and they are a fine choice for basic hunting. One of my buddies bout one in '72 and shot a big Moose at Golden, BC, with it and then gave it to me for the rest of the year and I did OK with it, so, bought my own.

I clean all my lever rifles and anyn other non-bolt guns by using a simple brass muzzle guard available anywhere. I used one since the late '70s and have found it easy and effective, however, a stout "pull-through" works very well, too and a surplus Lee-Enfield one is perfect.