View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 PM

In 35 feet of water it will be fine. Get into 75 to 100 then you will notice a difference. I would suggest anything under 40 most of these machines will meet most persons needs. The gps and maps are a bonus on the bird. I am going to convert mine for ice for the first time. The maps and having already marked spots during summer will beat my old finder I have been using on the ice. The 7 inch screen will be nice too. Waiting for freeze up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
If you haven't used a Helix, you can't comment on how bad or good it is. I honestly find it better then my Ice 55 in 35' of water with a 1/64oz jig and maggots. You can have the graph and sounder going at the same time and see what the fish are doing. Don't get me wrong, i do like my Ice 55, just liking the Helix more. The GPS is great when you find some fish and can mark them. Also works good when you have the lake maps and are looking for structure or an island. Ive used pretty much every brand out there and they all have good and bad features. i found that Marcum was the least reliable and took a long time t get repairs, Vexlar is good, but not as popular in Alberta, and just had best luck with the Huminbird. Good luck in shopping, Whole Sale had a bunch for 20% off last time i stopped by. All last years models, but the Ice 35, 45, 55 haven't changed in years.