View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I think it is the other way around. You are arguing for things to stay the same way they are which is change... The walleye regulations are being changed every year to convert more and more lakes to tags without proper monitoring...

My method of slot limit does not require good monitoring. Nor does a minimum limit. Read the report... 50 cm minimum size limit is good enough to recover(not just maintain, recover) walleye on our lakes.

The only reason the tag system is being used is to confront the issues of the hockey stick fish stunting which could lead to long term issues. It isn't being used because it is the only way to maintain our walleye numbers, it is being used to try to have better control of the size of the fish.

A slot limit also helps combat hockey stick growth, as does stocking. The tag system is far from our only option.

I don't guess. I read the facts provided to me by the government... You should try doing the same so that we can converse in an intelligent argument rather then having to listen to you spout crap like this.

Don't worry though I will do the leg work... Here is the blanket statement provided on every netting report. The actual estimated percent of each test is also given.

We are talking 100's if not 1000's of walleye killed in test nets every year and you want to make it a more regular occurrence? Maybe we should just get rid of the netting period, then there would for sure be enough walleye for the recreational fishermen...
When the Western Walleye Council funded the population structures of individual lakes back in the early '90s, we used electro fishing to obtain the age-structure samples required. We used a private firm to conduct the studies. It was intended to have all the primary lakes
in Alberta studied over time through proceeds from our Tournaments but unfortunately only three lakes were completed. As I recall ,they were Baptiste, Touchwood and Moose. You could see the current Walleye situation happening at that time. Too little, too late.