View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I think it should be determined if we are out for a hike or hunting. I walk so slow when I am big game hunting, if I fall over I am already dead. Like already mentioned, I hunt alone so no one is at risk.

Bird hunting, the last thing I want is someone fumbling around trying to load a shotgun in a hurry during a flush. I watch those hunting around me and if there is a hint of poor firearm control I call it a day.

You can generally tell who is comfortable and confident carrying a firearm before you get 20 feet from the truck. I would much rather hunt with someone that is competent hunting with one in the pipe than wondering all day if incompetent buddy's gun is loaded or not. If he can't be trusted with a loaded gun, how could you trust that his gun is actually unloaded or not?

The most common excuses I have read when it comes to hunting "accidents" are;

I thought buddy was an animal.

I was shooting at an animal and hit buddy.

I thought the gun was unloaded.

None of these circumstances are going to be prevented by walking with an unloaded gun or rifle.

Accidental discharge is rare and most of those are in circumstances when the firearm should have been unloaded. Entering tree stands, crossing creeks, going over/under fences, slippery/steep side hills, extremely thick brush, loose rocks, etc., etc., I would also bet that accidental discharge is used as an excuse more often than it actually takes place.
I agree with all of this, but in reading that particular comment, I'm mindful of how "confident" careless guys usually are. I agree with the spirit of the comment though, especially your first time out with someone. Those can be uncomfortable conversations, but I've had to have them.