View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks, I'll get the names sorted out some day.

I fished quite a bit on the east coast (rivers) when I grew up but mostly spin gearand bait. I kind of quit when I came west in '77 and focused on hunting ( I did fish a bit). My uncle would put a fly rod in my hands occassionally and working my line is going fairly well, but watching one of my buddies, I have a ways to go.

One thing that was paramount in the later summer months in those years was your shadow. Cast one and the fish headed for the hills. Early season, not so much. Same here?

I'm mostly dry fly fishing more to re-learn than anything although a SJW and a black leech worked OK yesterday. What are your clues as to when to go deep over surface, other than the obvious rises. Is a mud bottom on slower water a key to using bottom flies?

In general, this is why I started this thread. Like the knowledge that "a pee hole is a buck or bull and a female looks like the wrong end of a funnel" type of info for everyone.

Thanks for the info so far. Fishing is going to be one of my retirement habits (I don't have hobbies), and my wife is enjoying the Bow floats so far. Yesterday was a beautiful day. I don't mind learning the 'hard' way either and will go there as we go along.