View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 PM

As far as weight goes at this time of year with the flow below 100cm/s you don't need much.Every run is different but allot of fish will be holding in water 1-3 ft deep.So if your rig is 10' long one wire worm and a bead headed fly is all you'll need.You may even want to slide your indi down to shorten it.
Allot of rookie mistakes i see are when first starting out they walk into the run knee deep.I can guarantee you that they just spooked some nice fish.

If your not "ticking" bottom don't add weight right away.Theres other ways to get your rig down without adding weight here are some.
-cast upstream more,not out away from you.
-try to keep your fly line,indi and your flies in one line so they all float at the same speed.
-hold your rod high to keep as much of the fly line off the water to reduce drag.
-factory tapered leaders are meant for dry fly fishing, the first 4-5' is very heavy and will not sink that fast.Make you own leaders starting with much thinner line,
Hope this helps or makes sense.I'm no pro but i believe FFer's who have better casting or nymphing skills will almost always catch more fish regardless off what flies they use.