Thread: Dewitts Pond
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
So, how did these Prussian Carp get to be in canada in the first place and in these trout ponds. Can't see them swimming over here from eastern Europe/Russia nor see anyone hauling them here in their suitcase. How did they get here?

My response to the same question asked last year in the McGregor Prussian carp thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
That's what I find odd about this.. The only ever record of importation to North America happened in 1876, imported to New York State from Germany. They did not naturalize, nor were there any reports whatsoever of this specimen until 2006 when they magically appeared in Alberta; the first ever confirmed case of Prussian Carp in North American waters.

It's widely beleived that they were in a private dugout/pond that flooded and spilled into the river, as they were detected one year after the floods of '05

So how did they get into that dugout in the first place? Smuggled in a water jug in someone's luggage from an overseas flight? That would be my guess

The ones showing up in trout ponds like Dewitts are obviously by people that are illegally stocking them, to expand their range essentially. But how they got here in the first place remains the million (billion?) dollar question