View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 PM

I went out for a walk today, hoping to find a nice whitetail. I headed to my favorite area for bush hiking, but decided to check a new spot out - just a spot I always wanted to check out, but never really bothered to go to for whatever reason. The hike was great! I did not have much time though and covered just over half the area I was hoping to. I also didn't get to my camera I have taking pictures (hopefully) since late August - early September in my usual spot. Hopefully next week. It has been pretty difficult to find the time for outdoor activities with new baby and the three-year old. But the baby is doing good and the three-year is being three-year old, lol. So it's all good. I actually cannot complain at all, since I have been able to put my first (cow) elk down, shoot a mulie (doe) and just go out a few times, not nearly as much as I would like to, but you all should feel lucky because I would be uploading many more ****ty pics similar to the ones I in my previous posts (if anyone is reading at all)

So yes, the walk was great! I spooked a deer within the first five minutes of the hike. It did not run, just walked away. About 45 minutes later, I heard another one walking away. It was a great spot (I will definitely be coming back) and it was definitely a buck according to the size of the hooves. I waited a few minutes, made a few grunts and he seemed to be moving towards me and then all quite. A few minutes later and still nothing, I went moved to him to check things out, but I could not find anything, he disappeared and I did not pursue. I moved on.

I found quite a few of these rubs, in similar surroundings, similar or the same bush. Can anyone tell me with any certainty if these were left by elk or deer?

Then I stumbled upon this, which I have no idea what to make of. If someone can clue me in, I would appreciate it.

And I am assuming this was done by a moose chewing bark?

Later on, I spooked another deer. This one took off running and I was pretty sure I saw the tail. Sounded like a heavy bugger, so I decided to invest some time into it. I managed to spook it again about five minutes later, but kept pursuing. About 15 minutes later, after trying to come around it, I found a mulie not far from the spot I left the runner. So I let it go and started moving out. Had to walk in the dark a bit, but found my way alright. While packing the gear, a truck stopped by asking if I am hunting and if I saw a moose in the bush, lol. No, I did not.

If you look very closely, you might find the mulie mentioned just above:

(it is very unlikely that you see it; it is there, but I only know because I know where it was)

Cheers, and good hunting!