View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 PM

Default You must be from Nova Scotia!!!

This recipe will give you exactly was a donair in Halifax tastes like, which in my opinion, are arguable the best donairs in the word.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dashs-donair/

In the place of mashing you could either use a food processor, or just pick up the meat and throw it, with force, on to the counter a number of times ensuring that the meat basically gets blended together. That's how you get that lovely loaf that when cut stays together. Do not, whatever you do, substitute anything for the oregano powder. Even dried oregano will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
I perfected this recipe and thought i'd share. I used to work at a donair shop and ever since I quit working there its hard to find a good donair. Now with this recipe I refuse to buy a donair for I feel I make a better tasting donair that is less greasy but still full in flavor. Here it is,

Donair meat:

1 1/2 pound venison- I have only used deer so far I assume moose or elk would work and possibly be better.

1 pound med. or regular ground beef- this is to keep the fat content up, donairs are greasy food so this helps keep the wild meat from drying up.

2 tsp of the following: oregano, salt, flour, black pepper,garlic powder, onion powder,

1 tsp: paprika

1/2 tsp: cayenne pepper

Mix all spices together in a small bowl, set aside. Put ground venison in bowl mash with potato masher add beef and keep mashing. when all mixed up add 1/5 of seasoning mixture and mash, keep repeating till seasoning is gone. Mash with potato masher.........keep mashing.......and more mashing, don't mash less mash more this gives you the "donair" texture. Alright after 10 to 15 min of mashing time to get your hands dirty. Pick up the mashed meat and start throwing it from hand to hand, as if you had a base ball and where throwing it from hand to hand. then throw it as hard as you can in to the bowl you where mashing in. pick up repeat, pick up repeat. Don't be lazy. These steps are required because they give the donair meat the donair texture.

Set oven to 325f

Once beaten, thrown and repeated form a loaf with the meat, bread pans work good for forming. Line baking sheet with tin foil, place cooking rack on middle of baking sheeting and then place donair loaf on rack. The rack lets the grease drip away from loaf.

after every 1/2 hour the loaf need to be flipped. Total cooking time is 2 to 2 and half hours so the loaf may be needed to be fliped 4-5 times during the cooking phase.

He comes the hard part. after 2-2 1/2 hours the loaf should be done but it needs to kool completely before it can be cut properly.............